Friday, June 30, 2006

behaviour issues

A couple of weeks ago I gave a short presentation on the micro-skills to a group of TAA students, all of whom train or will be training and assessing in very different settings. Quite a few said they find a lot of problems, or issues, or challenges with behaviour management. Then at a completely unconnected meeting with staff members here we were discussing the challenges posed by young people coming into the TAFE system and I was told that there are more behaviour issues with adult students than with youth. It's interesting that this does seem to be such a widespread issue - especially when it's so rarely if ever discussed in any adult learning or VET literature. I think it shows that there could well be a big gap that TROPIC or something like it could really fill.

I'm hoping that I can maintain contact with the TAA group and their teacher Gail, and find out what successes and persistent challenges they have in addressing behaviour issues in their training. That together with continuing to link with the TROPIC trainees and other teachers at TNQT, SQIT, WBIT and MIIT - not to mention Mark Davidson and some of our school colleagues - could be a good way to build and share knowledge about managing behaviour effectively and supportively.

2 comments:

Martha said...

A quick note for myself so I don't forget - as well as the focus on behaviour management, one thing I'm tasked with more generally is to assist teachers address the needs of younger learners. A couple of possible leads from an article (at http://www.surreyllp.org.uk/resources/downloads/fengagepre.doc): assessment for learning; active approaches to teaching and learning (learner-centred). I'm dubious about how useful stuff like Gen Y, digital native etc are - but will make that topic the subject of another posting!

Susan Hurley-Luke said...

Martha, just got to catch up on all your wonderful blog entries. This is a great record of what has been happening! Loved the Mt Isa photos and the one of the group we trained in Brisbane. I might pinch that one for my own blog, if that's alright? Am having a look at the link on Classroom Behaviour and Management. Thanks for coming up today - I enjoyed our discussion about teaching and learning, as always! Will get you a draft of the presentation I plan to do for the conference ASAP. Will be in Cairns tomorrow in K218 as I have a Diploma teaching day - I must say, those adults never present behaviour problems to me!
Take care :-)